Monday, August 24, 2009

5 Months Old - 09/09/09!





Mommy-brain, though not always present, has reared it's head in this last month. Most notably when I went shopping at the Super Center and needed a few tablespoons of pine nuts. When I got home I realized that I had bought $22 worth;! over 1/2 a bloody kilo! Naturally Fran honed in on that as soon as he looked at the bill, and I'm in desperate need of coming up with pine nut recipes... any suggestions?

Exercising is going well these days, along with a semi-regular jogging routine. The only annoying aspect of it is that I have to wear 15 bras layered on top of one another to control the motion out in front:-{

Kalyna Baby has now more than doubled her birth weight, weighing in at 13lbs 10 oz and is 62cm long. According to her growth charts, she is in the 50th percentile for length, and 25th percentile for weight - taking on daddy's proportions I think. As a result, she has finally outgrown her cradle. In the last week, she has woken up a few times a night and been jammed into either the corner or the side of the cradle, so we've moved her onto a big bed, and the nights have been more restful for all.

A new awareness has come to Kalyna. She's not yet weary of strangers, but is definitely checking in with us as soon as someone starts talking to her or tries to hold her. If we give a nod and a smile, then she is good to go, if not, then she tenses up... what enviable Jedi mind control we have! I'm sure that it will last well through her teens.

We have begun potty training. Yes, the never-ending runs to the yellow potty have been integrated into our daily routine. Fortunately, apart from getting very distracted and trying to do a rear dismount a few times a day, she actually likes sitting on the contraption and has about a 30% success rate, which is fantastic considering she can't even sit up on her own for more than 5 sec. at a time. If all continues to go well, we'll be on our way to cutting out the diaper budget in the next few months.

Neil Young, Harvest Moon, still reigns as the sleep-inducer +double swaddle +bouncy ball at night. I must get onto his fan site and let him know that there's a future in children's lullabies once he's done with the world tours.

Overall, Kalyna is delightful, full of energy and loads of laughter to spare... can't think of another baby right now as we're afraid that we'll screw it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment